What is actually a protein?
They are large,complex molecules which play many critical roles in our body.Proteins do most of the work in cells and they are required for the structure, function and regulation of the body`s tissues and other organs.
It means that proteins are body building elements without which we can’t leave. They also provide the required energy for the body to function properly and are crucial for the development of muscles. Protein deficiency can lead to numerous health conditions such as marasmus, kwashiorkor, cachexia, etc.
How Much We Really Need To Consume Daily?
Protein deficiency symptoms:
- Bed Sored
- Weak and sore muscles
- Weight Loss
- Dry Skin
- Increased water retention
- Skin Color Changes
- Deep Line Formations Around The Toes And Nails
How Much Protein Your Body Need ?
- Babies need about 10 grams a day
- School-age kids need 19-34 grams a day.
- Teenage boys need up to 52 grams a day.
- Teenage girls need 46 grams a day
- Adult men need about 56 grams a day
- Adult women need about 46 grams a day
You should get at least 10% of your daily calories, but not more than 35%, from proteins, according to the Institute of Medicine.
Find the richest foods with proteins on the next page.